Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Look Back at Running..

Bad blogger award goes tooooooo..Yea yea I know, I haven't written here in over a week. So sue me. I really do mean to do better, but ya know, life gets in the way an shit. Sorry, I'll do better..hopefully.

Back to the title of this post: "Taking a look back". I can't remember if I've talked about the whole running thing on here. I touched on it during my weight loss story, which you can read HEREHERE, aaaand HERE. So basically, I started running to lose weight, because I figured it was a faster way to do so. And it worked! I lost 30 pounds in the first 3 months, strictly from running. From there I figured I should sign up for a race so I could keep up the motivation, so I signed up for the Color Me Rad 5k (3.1 miles) with some of my sorority sisters. It wasn't timed, but I figure I ran it in about 40-45 minutes. Slow. I didn't care though, because I had a craaazy fun time. I would definitely encourage new runners to do a "fun run" first to get the feel of a race without all the anxiety and nerves that can come with it.




So from there I just kept up my running, but I didn't sign up for any races because duh, after a 5k comes actual long distances that are hard. Uhh, no thank you very much. I'll stick to running around my neighborhood real slow. And theeeen I saw on instagram that my friend Gabrielle signed up for a half marathon. I have no idea, what in the hell made me think that's what I should do, but my heart skipped a beat and then started beating really fast - I always know that's when my mind has been made up on something crazy. SO in October I signed up for the Rock n Roll USA Half Marathon. Mind you I had never run more than 4 miles. I'm a freakin lunatic. I know. I read all of the rules and conditions and one was that there are no refunds, unless you basically chop off your foot on accident. So naturally I did what anyone would do in a panic, I went for a 5 mile run that very same day and almost died because my lungs were freakin out. Good news, I lived.

So I trained throughout the winter months (yea, bad idea), invested in some Under Armour ColdGear (best invention ever) and some new running shoes and survived. And then I lost my mind again and signed up for 2 more races in February - a 10k and a 10 miler. Yep, clearly haven't learned my lesson. I did the 10k already, which I wrote a little about HERE and it was so much fun. It was my first timed race and I was only about 5 minutes slower than my previous 10k times. I fully blame this on the weather, it was freakin 23 degrees out that day! 

Fast forward a couple weeks to today. My half marathon is in a couple DAYS! I'm a little nervous, but I honestly know I'll do ok. And it's my first half marathon so there's no pressure really. I mean yea, I definitely have a goal time in mind, but I'm trying not to concentrate too hard on that... we'll see. Next week I'll post some half marathon pictures hopefully...if I survive it.


No comments:

Post a Comment