Monday, September 29, 2014

Race Recap! I'm alive!

Helloooooooo out there! I do realize that I haven't said anything since last week, more on that tomorrow. I was in a bit of a slump, if you will. But yes, back to this past weekend. I hung out with my mom all day Saturday so that was glorious of course. I live 20 minutes away from her now that I've moved out, but it's still so hard to see her during the week because I'm so busy. She's also really busy, which is very odd to me. She turned 49 this year and she goes out more than I do! She literally asked me if my brother could spend the night one Friday because she wanted to go out drinking with her coworkers. Mind you, her coworkers are all my age. WHAT.

I woke up and ran 3 miles, since I was running 10 the next day. It was an average run, nothing special. Then I watched Tiger play with her gigantic bone for a while, because it was actually pretty hilarious. The bone is literally as long as she is. We had to get her a giant one because she goes through the little ones SO fast.



But I digress. This weekend mama bear and I had planned to go to Old Town Alexandria; totes cutesy little shops, cafes, and restaurants, but it really turned into run errands with mom and go see Grandma. This is also totally fine in my book! When I was little we would go see my Grandma, along with the rest of my family, every single Saturday and it was the greatest. I have 13 aunts and uncles on my mom's side, and an absurd amount of cousins, so it was always entertaining. So this past Saturday was like old times and I really like spending time with feisty grandma, especially now that she's getting older.

After leaving Grandma's we went to Mike's American Grill for lunch and I swear they have the greatest food in the world. I'm a bad blogger so I have no pictures. What else is new. Whenever I go there I get the Jambalaya Pasta and eat all of the sweet bread in the little baskets because it's freakin delicious. But Crystal who didn't wanna shit herself on the race course the next day new and improved Crystal ordered sauteed chicken with red peppers and angel hair pasta with brown butter sauce AND only had 2 pieces of bread. BOOM BITCHES. I probably shouldn't have tried something new before race day, but it was pretty light and it fit my macros, soooo it happened. Mama Bear dropped me off at my car and we went our ways and I went home to get some rest.

RACE DAYYYY

I did the Perfect Ten - 10k/10 Mile Race in Reston, VA (about 30-40 minutes west of DC) on Sunday. I could've sworn it was a flat course. This was a lie.

I went alone for this one since my beloved boyfriend is waking up at 5:00 am next weekend to drop me off for my half, so I awkwardly hung out in my car till about 20 minutes prior to start.


I hung around and some little old lady came up to me and we were chattin it up and THEN she says, I live in this neighborhood, these hills sure won't be fun. WHOOAAAAA WAIT WAIT WAIT. HILLS!?!? Fuckin shit man. So the race starts and I get in the 10-11 minute pace area. Everyone started together, so it was pretty crowded, but it thinned out quickly. We literally made it about .30 miles before the first hill. I still had a lot of energy at that point so I took it like a champ, but goodness those hills just kept coming back to back. I kept a steady pace for the first 5 miles or so, but after the hills, plus the sun in my freakin eyeballs, plus picking a grossly sweet flavor of shot bloks (strawberry), I was just ready to get the shit over with. It didn't help that the 10 mile people had to watch the 10k people veer off to the finish line. Cue depression and longing glances. Once all the 10k folks were gone there was basically no one on the course. AWESOME. I swear all the 10 milers were like elite runners because I saw like 20 people, tops. The little old lady from before caught up to me and THEN she passed me. Sheesh, way to make me look bad Margaret. Towards the end it weaved through a parking lot of a highschool and it was pissing me off. I was literally dodging spectators and yelling "Excuse me! Still running here! Excuse me!" and it was getting frustrating. That's really my only complaint. There was also a hilarious lady cheering people on at the end, and she saw my shirt and yelled, "HASHTAG STRONG! HASHTAG BAD ASS! YOU GOT THIS GIRL!" I loved her. I sprinted to the end when I could see the finish line and it was the devil. Official time offffff 1:59:40 hahah I'll take it. 8 minutes slower than my fastest 10 mile time, and I'm totally blaming the hills for that shit. But I got a medal, and that's all that matters my friends.
Afterwards I hung around to hear the awards and eat all of the bananas and drink all of the Gatorade. Pretty sure the volunteers gave me dirty looks for taking 2 of everything, buttttt ask me how many fucks I gave? Because I just ran 10 miles, so hop off teenager with braces. Anywho, the fastest woman finished in 1:05 and the fastest man in 1:01. That's freakishly fast. Why are people so weird? Ugh. I'm just bitter and jealous, don't mind me.

When I got home I took a long ass nap that was glorious, and then Leon and I went to IHOP for our post race tradition. I got an egg white omelette and pumpkin pancakes, because fall. duh. It was delicious and awkward because our waitress told us all about her Saturday night while the couple next to us argued about car insurance. I came home and napped some more, and here we are. Monday. Such is life. The only good thing that happened was that these beauties came in the mail. Almost tackled the UPS man when he came in my office.

Aren't they just freakin sexy? Yes, yes they are. I got them from UrbanOG.com at the recommendation of my blogging fav, Laura at Life with Lolo !!! She's the greatest, so if you're not reading her shenanigans, I'm not really sure what you're still doing..I'm about to go full fall, leggings, chambray shirts, and infinity scarves all over this bitch. Get ready my friends.

Chit Chattin about my latest not-blogging-for-a-week thing tomorrow. Hope you kids had a super weekend!

-Crystal

8 comments:

  1. Hell yeah ten miles! That's awesome! GREAT JOB!

    I go to a lot of races by myself so I get the awkward hanging out in my car thing. Funny selfie there.

    And I love those boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you!! I felt like the most awkward turtle at the race by myself. Lots of old people talked to me? haha weird.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree! Also Congratulations on breaking through that plateau with the Fleurty Challenge!!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhh the boots are amazing! Were you pleased with them? I know it's always a little sketch ordering online but usually UrbanOG is great quality. Good work on your race! I think about running 10 miles and it makes me want to cry. Maybe someday I'll get there, till then I'll just hear how your kicking races asses left and right. Get it girl. I can't wait to see some fall outfits with the new boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm in LOVE with them. They need some breaking in, as the top of the foot and the bottom are pretty hard, but that's no biggy. I usually hate ordering shoes online because my feet are flat and awkward, but they had a pretty good sizing chart. And thank you! I still want to cry when I run anything over 5 miles, so I don't think that is an abnormal feeling hahaha

      Delete
  4. OMG MIke's is amazing! I love their entire group of restaurants!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat Mike's everyday of my life. Sweetwater Tavern too haha. Only one I'm not a fan of is Coastal Flats!

      Delete