Friday, July 11, 2014

Half Marathon Tiiiime

Have I mentioned that I'm doing another half marathon? I have. So training for this little gem starts next week and I'm a bit on the nervous side. For one, I'm now running it alone. I think I'm ok with that, it'll just be the first time doing so. My sisters backed out of it, which is completely understandable since they're new runners. Nonetheless, it's thrown me off a little. Also, I know you're not supposed to compare yourself to people with these things, but my friend Becca has kept up her running since our first half, and girlfriend casually runs 10 miles every Saturday.

I'm sorry, WHAT? I mean, I know I could, if someone wanted to find my corpse on the side of a running trail from me not finishing, (runners ALWAYS find the dead bodies in Law & Order..) but I'd rather not die. I honestly haven't run more than 4 miles at a time since then, since I've been focusing more on strength training, which is going super well.
Dem armsssss. And by arms, I mean, baby biceps. Ugh, life.

I'm going to run 6 miles tomorrow morning to assess how far gone my running-ness is. I don't expect to be as fast as my training from last time, because well, Becca runs faster than me. Last year when we trained together on long runs, I was just trying to keep up with her! This time I do want to get faster, so I've been doing sprints more often, but there's only so much you can increase your stride when you're barely 5'4. Just sayin. My time last go round was 2:42, and I know Mile 11-13 is what killed me, so I'm hoping now that I know where my breaking point is, that I can train past mile 10 so I'm more prepared.

I'm going with Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Novice 2 plan since I'm still a pretty new runner that has no fuckin clue what I'm doing, ya know, besides the whole putting one foot in front of the other thing...and even that is questionable. Last year I most definitely tripped and fell mid run...on a busy street..with lots of cars to witness the tragedy. But that doesn't count in my book because pics or it didn't happen.

Also debating getting a Garmin Forerunner watch because I figure if I'm doing a second half that I actually like this shit, and I'll be doing it more often. Honestly, I like the feeling of finishing best..that's what she said. Sorry couldn't resist. Knowing that I did that shit all on my own with absolutely no physical help and that I ran those 13.1 miles myself and that I can take pride in that because not everyone can do it.....is the best feeling. Also because I used to be fat and not a runner AT ALL.

Throwin it back to my first ever race. The color run!
My boobs have shrank. so. much. I was a 42 DDD and now I'm a 36 D. WHAT.

Also I took this picture the other day and I'm not even gonna lie, I just want to know if I'm lookin at back fat or if a teeeensy bit of muscle is starting to happen. Just tell me the truth people.


So. Does any one have a garmin forerunner? Love it? Hate it? Any other half marathon training you guys recommend? Help a sister out.

-Crystal


4 comments:

  1. Those are muscles!!!! Congrats!!!! Can you use the Garmin to replace the HRM that just died? You got the half marathon, no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! And yes, I could get the garmin with the hrm included to replace the one that died! Still trying to convince the boyfriend that it's completely necessary..hahah

      Delete
  2. Hell yeah those are muscles!!! Good for you!

    When's your half marathon? Best thing I can tell you is to add the miles slow and steady. And don't be afraid to take walk breaks early on. It'll keep your legs fresher than it would if you wait until you are exhausted to walk.

    You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The half is October 5! I'll take you up on the walking advice, I'm alllll about some walkin!

      Delete