Monday, July 21, 2014

Tiny Ass Kitchen for Delicious Cookies

Sup suckaaaaas. That was rude. Terribly sorry for that.

So I did my first meal prep this past weekend and Lord have mercy on my soul, I realized just how FREAKIN tiny our new kitchen is.
Yep you've basically seen the whole kitchen now. There's one more little counter on the other side of the stove, but that's it. I mean, I do like it. Mostly because it's ours and I can walk around without pants on while I cook. But goodness gracious this whole only 3 counters thing is not the business. It does make it better that we have a bomb ass table from IKEA that fits most of my meal prep junk when necessary, but still. I'm also still trying to do the whole eating healthy with a boyfriend who most certainly doesn't eat healthy unless forced. I've learned though, that men will eat anything within reason. So I'm suckin it up and making dinner most nights so I can make sure it's compliant with my macros.

Any tips from you guys that cook for whole families/husbands/wives/dogs/friends? 

I made cookies last night. They were delicious. I posted them on my Instagram aaaand I just love them a lot. They're from The Minimalist Baker's Website and you should go make them NOW. I subbed out a bunch of ingredients based on what I had in my kitchen and it still turned out pretty freakin delicious. Just for shits n giggles, my substitutions included...

*coconut oil instead of olive oil
*3 tbsp. sugar instead of agave nectar/honey
*added smashed up almonds cuz I like that shit
*peanut butter instead of almond butter
*whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour
*quick oats instead of rolled oats

I think that's all? You can tell we just moved in and have next to nothing in the kitchen. Whatever, still tasted delicious.

Come back tomorrow and I'll tell you allllll about my horrible kickass workout in front of the Lincoln Memorial! I just want to gauge my level of soreness. Weird, I know.

Leave me links to your fav treat recipes! 

-Crystal

3 comments:

  1. My husband is the same way, he'll eat pretty much everything so I try to plan meals accordingly. Every now and then I sub out something for myself, like veggies instead of pasta.
    Those cookies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan our meals out for a week and buy groceries once a week. I don't cook all the meals in advance, I make them and serve them on the same evening. My husband will eat pretty much anything that I cook--he knows he's lucky that he doesn't have to cook it himself. I make special arrangements for the kids on nights that are really not kid-friendly meals. Sometimes I don't eat the bread that I serve with dinner or I eat pasta sauce on vegetables instead of actually eating pasta to make the meals work for all of us. After you live together for a few months you'll have a better idea of what your boyfriend likes to eat that also works for you and your macros. When we first started living together (and even now when I make a new recipe) I ask if they would be happy to eat it again. I have a list of family approved recipes (like a menu) that helps me stay inspired and plan the meals out for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously way behind on reading - but I fit that category of trying to cook healthy for the BF as well. It is a struggle sometimes. There are things I know he won't eat and things I know I shouldn't eat. As boring as it sounds, it's best to have 3-4 go-to healthy meals that you both like and stick to it. Switch out the veggies/sides or the protein to make it a little more adventurous. Our go-tos include taco salads, avocado turkey burgers (bunless) and marinated grilled chicken breasts. Those are usually on repeat over at my house with a night out and one other random meal thrown in for the week. I think you still kick my butt when it comes to meal planning - but there's my advice :)

    ReplyDelete