Thursday, May 1, 2014

Get Out of Your Head!

Oh my goodness gracious, you guys are so friendly and leave such sweet comments! Thank you guys for the support on my last post. Unfortunately, baby brother didn't get off so easy, but whatever, kid's gotta learn.

Moving on! My super sassy/fabulous sorority sister, Rachael, suggested I talk about some hints on how to not get mentally bored or frustrated while working out. Also my random thoughts while running. Because I do have a lot of those.

First up: Not getting bored/frustrated

I usually start with cardio to get my blood movin. I lift weights in converse shoes (you should lift in flat shoes. Running shoes have a built in slant, so if you wear those you're messin with form/working different muscles then intended) so if I forget my running shoes, I just do cardio on the stairmaster/bike. On those machines I usually snag a magazine and catch up on some gossip in Hollywood/pray to baby Jesus that time is almost up (I usually do 15 of each).

My gym needs new magazines...this is from January. #firstworldproblems


If I'm on the treadmill, there's a TV attached to the thing so you bet your ass I'm watching Food Network on that sucker. I just really like that channel, not just because food is my savior, but everyone is always so happy and I like happy people ...and it doesn't hurt that Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives is usually on when I'm at the gym...drool fest. I may or may not get judging looks from other runners. I mean hey, at least I'm on the treadmill while I watch it, instead of chompin on some Ben & Jerrys. Am I right, or am I right? What I have learned though about not getting frustrated is that you need to do something/anything besides watching the timer to see how much longer/how long you've been going. Unless you're doing something for time, don't look at it. Cover it up with a towel, magazine, book, watch tv, talk to yourself whatever. Even when I only intend to do 15 minutes of the stairmaster I cover it up and tell myself to go as long as I possibly can, and then I can look. Usually I'm close to the finish or over my time! 
My "I just checked, and time is NOT almost up" face.

If I'm not doing one of these things, I'm people watchin like a hawk. I highly recommend this. I don't usually wear headphones to the gym, mostly because I usually forget my armband, so I can hear everyone and see all the things! I don't mean that I watch people in a mean way, like making fun of people. That's for assholes. But if you do something funny or are wearing something absurd, I'm lookin at you European man in tight capris, then I will laugh to myself in my head, because it keeps me entertained while I kill my muscles. Do not forget that you're there for you, though! Get your workout in while you're perusing. As time passes and you actually know what you're doing, it becomes easier to shut your brain off and just do work. This is when my mind wanders to other people. Folks do some weird shit when they think people aren't watching/listening, so just watch and stay entertained my friends. 

Here is a list of weird people/things I've seen:
-A man literally hanging upside down from the bar in a squat rack. Not sure what he was doing..
-A little old Asian lady full on jamming out on the treadmill, swinging arms in the air and everything
-European man wearing very tight and short capris. shudder.
-A man doing some kind of dance/fighting combo in the mirror (it actually was interesting to watch)
-A man who was at least 80, doing very fast sprints on the treadmill. Terrifying to watch, but he was fine!

Some of these people are regulars, so it's always a good day when I see them while I'm at the gym. Pinky promise I'm not a creep/stalker, nor should you be! I'm just very observant. And then I move on. I hope this didn't come off as creepy...if it did, well..this is awkward then.

Random Thoughts while I run: We're gonna do this stream of consciousness style. All of these things are actual things I've seen/thought. 

"(Begin running) Wow this actually sucks a lot, why am I running again?...This was a horrible idea. I want to go home now, but I also don't want to be fat..Has it been a mile yet? Haha definitely not. Is that pizza I smell? Who the hell is eating pizza? What an asshole. (when a car is coming) Oh my god you better fucking stop. I sure hope this man sees me, because I'm not stopping...make eye contact with you me, you jerk. Ok hi, hello, I'm gonna keep running across the street now thaaaanks. (If I see a dog) Oh my goodness that thing is precious. Hello sweet babyyyy! Your owner looks mean.. I guess I won't try to pet you. (Another runner passing me) Ohhh are they gonna give me the runner nod? Come on, do it do it.. YESSS runners nod! I'm in the club! I should stop smiling like an idiot now. I look dumb, I'm sure. Speaking of dumb, I'm so freakin tired of this dumb ass run. (Running in kind of empty part of neighborhood) Is that man seriously peeing right now? On the sidewalk? Is he drunk? Oh my god what if he's drunk and dangerous and he kills me? I cannot die like this. Must run faster. I will not be a Law&Order victim. Hmm Law & Order...I wonder if I'll find a dead body, runners always find those. I've never seen a dead body though. I'd probably miss it on accident. That's probably for the best. Am I done yet? Sweet Jesus it's been forever. Aaaand that's a condom I'm stepping over. Stay classy, Alexandria. Could've sworn this was a nice area. I can't wait to move..then where will I run? Whatever I don't care. Just make it down the street and we're done. And then I'm never running again." 



Needless to say, there is never a dull moment in my brain. 
-Crystal


What do you guys think about/do while you workout to keep sane!?

ALSO! I want to reply to the comments you guys leave me, but if you don't see my reply, you might be a no-reply blogger! Check your settings to make sure you're not! Follow this tutorial HERE to make sure!







11 comments:

  1. LMAO! I love your inner monologue while running! I have similar thoughts! When I'm at the gym, I usually bring my cell phone and watch some netflix while on the elliptical. It keeps my brain occupied and I'm not obsessed with watching the clock. Then I switch over to music while doing my weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh I never thought to watch Netflix!! Time would pass so much faster!!

      Delete
  2. Your inner monologue is priceless!
    I used to watch Food Network at the gym so I never judge. And internally monitoring people at the gym is not creepy. Creepy people take pictures and post them on the internet to make fun of them. Actually, not just creepy but total d-bag move. As long as you aren't doing that, it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! Thank goodness for that. I'm all about internal monitoring!

      Delete
  3. I freakin LOVE your thoughts while running! It is crazy how many times I have ran past condoms..

    ReplyDelete
  4. bahahahaha that is SOOOO me when Im running in the neighborhood but I get angry and I dont make eye contact with the crossfitters that run in my neighborhood they make me nervous and IM definitely not in their club haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fake it till you make it girlfriend! Throw on a serious "I've been running for 25 miles so far" face and you are IN!

      Delete
  5. I love your inner monologue! I am not a runner, I am a walker. When I walk outside I have crazy, wandering thoughts. When I walk on the treadmill I play games with the treadmill. I change the speed or incline: one song each on incline 2, 4, 6, and 8 and then back down again or I just jump all over the place with the start of each new song. It is basically interval training without using one of the programs. I'm so busy trying to keep track of the song and what number I should be on that it helps the time pass.

    I live in Europe and let me tell you the people watching at the gym is spectacular. These French people wear some strange outfits to the gym!! I have been tempted to take pictures but so far have managed to use self control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also wanted to say that my favorite shoes for lifting are Nike Run Free. They are a barefoot-like running shoe so they have a neutral foot position. Very lightweight and cushiony too.

      Delete
  6. Serious love for the inner monologue during the run! I have very similar thoughts when I'm running through my neighborhood. However I run with my dog, so half the time I'm thinking "please don't stop and take a shit" and the other half I'm thinking "do you seriously have to lift your leg on every post? I'm running here!" He's a good running buddy but sometime it makes things difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I've tried running with my dog and it never goes well. She has to stop and sniff every single damn leaf and all of a sudden she needs to pee 4 times. Nope. Can't do it.

      Delete