Monday, April 28, 2014

Meal Preppin like a boss

So one of my college amigos saw my picture on my Instagram of the beginnings of my meal prepping, and said she wanted to try it but didn't know how.

a million eggs. actually 18, whatever. boil those suckers.

cut up vegetables. whatever you want really. 350 degrees for 25 minutes.


 It can be super confusing and I still don't get it sometimes. There's a million different ways to go about it, but that's the beauty of it all! There's no wrong way to prep your food. I follow a macro plan, based off of Krissy Mae Cagney's Flexible Dieting ebook, so I base my meal prep around my macros (protein, carbohydrates, and fat). If you're not into that, which is totally fine, than you can just go with portion sizes and that works too! I lost probably 50 pounds from just "eating clean" so it's doable. I'm just experimenting with macros to see if that works too.

So once you've figured out what you wanna do, get yourself a notebook and write down some meals that you're cool with eating for a few days. I am that weirdo that doesn't mind eating the same exact thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week straight. If it's good, I'll eat it. So I make food for a week. Again, a million ways to do this, so make food for every 2 days if ya want. Get crazy! But for example sake, we're pretending you're prepping for a week.

I write down a carb, protein, and vegetable for each meal. For protein, it's usually chicken, ground turkey, or rotisserie chicken. I could seriously eat rotisserie chicken everyday for the rest of my life and be perfectly content. Is this normal? Probably not. Do I care? Absolutely not. It makes me happy, dammit. But I digress..for carbs it's usually sweet potato or whole grain brown rice. I steer clear of pasta because I have no self control when it comes to that deliciousness. For vegetables I get anything that's steamable/frozen about 90% of the time. Other times I get crazy, see above, and get fresh vegetables to put in the oven. I just buy a lot of all of that stuff because I'd rather have too much than not enough. This is also good so that I have leftovers for the weekend. Leftovers for the weekend mean that I won't be caught licking the frozen yogurt machine with olive garden leftovers sticking out of my purse, when I should be eating vegetables. This is a plus, my friends.

I also keep some random snacks on hand because ya girl does get snacky often. Usually I keep carrots and hummus, fruit, Spark (Advocare), and hard boiled eggs handy. Sometimes you just need something to put in your mouth (LOL I'm immature) so I try to keep it low cal, besides eggs. But those are protein so who cares.

So once I have everything made and portioned out, I keep it in tupperware in the fridge. I've never had a problem with anything going bad, but I guess it's up to you and your comfort level with leftovers. But I mean, if there's a small village growing on it....don't eat it bro. As for breakfast, I switch it up. I make my breakfast every night if I'm making overnight oats (3/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup oats, cinnamon in tupperware/jar overnight. good cold or hot!) OR every morning if I'm just having toast and a banana. I keep it light with breakfast or you'll find me napping underneath my desk...but seriously.

I think that's all? If not just leave a comment and I'll answer as best I can!
Tomorrow I'll be chit chattin about my random thoughts at the gym and how to pass the time while you're working out (credit to my sorority sister, Rachael, on the idea!)

-Crystal



4 comments:

  1. Holy crap the image of you licking the frozen yogurt machine made me bust out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to do this, Im so tired after work meal prep is the last thing I want to do. this would be much easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I do a very similar thing Sundays, or I try when I'm feeling motivated. Usually do a bunch of chicken breasts and veggies. Just curious how you go about packing and portioning - any pointers or examples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura!! I actually have a food scale (20 bucks at walmart) so I can make sure that I'm getting a real portion and not just eyeballin it. That's been a HUGE help. You'd be surprised at how small 4 oz. of chicken really is.. For packing, I pretty much cleared out the tupperware section of walmart in my favorite color (I'm weird like that) and I just refrigerate it once I portion out the meal in the tupperware. I don't mind my food touching, but if you do, just find some that have separations!

      Delete